Using Service Summaries in SCRIBE for GEAR UP
Remember that great “end-of-the-year” event from last year? A lot of fun right? Great — it’s your responsibility to put it together this year!
What all did we do for that event? It was so long ago. Did we serve refreshments or give away any prizes to the participants? What objectives did the service meet? What were the strengths and weakness of how we did it last year?
Well, you could get a lot of this information from the person who put it together last year — who was that again?
If this scenario sounds familiar to you, maybe you could use SCRIBE’s Service Summary feature.
Service Summaries are a feature that can be enabled for your version of SCRIBE to allow you to attach a summary of the activity that you have recorded in SCRIBE. The summary can track strengths and weaknesses, refreshments and prizes, objectives of the service, who put the event together, and much more!
Below is a handy guide on how you to make use of the Service Summary for your grant. We have also attached a PDF version of the guide for download at the bottom of this article.
Adding a Service Summary to a New Service
Adding a Service Summary to a Service is very simple. On the final page of the Service creation process, the user will be asked for some specifics about the Service. The Service Summary box will contain the Service Summaries that are available for the user’s program. Simply select the applicable Service Summary and fill out the rest of the page as normal.
Adding a Service Summary to an Existing Service
A user can add a Service Summary to an existing Service by editing the Service in question. From the Service List, by clicking “View” to the right of one of the Services listed, the User can view details corresponding to the Service including the School to which the Service is assigned, the name of the Service, the School Year it falls in and so on.
Clicking the Edit Button at the bottom of the page will produce the screen displayed below. The User can select a Service Summary from the dropdown menu and then click the Save Button at the bottom of the page to add the Service Summary.
Filling out the Default Activity Summary
After creating a Service, the Service Summary will be available as the last tab on the right. It can be accessed and edited at any time after the Service Summary has been added.
Keep in mind that Service Summaries fulfill several purposes including being a reminder for how to repeat a successful service in the future!
The Default Activity Summary will record the following information:
- The name of the person completing the service summary
- A purpose and description of the service
- The strengths and weaknesses of the event
- Were prizes or honors given away?
- Were GEAR UP grant funds used?
- Was transportation provided?
- Were refreshments served?
- If a student service, which goals and objectives did this service meet?
- Increase student school interest and involvement
- Increase student academic achievement
- Enhance student academic progression
- Promote student career awareness and interest
- Promote student college awareness
- Increase participation in postsecondary education
- If a parent service, which goals and objectives did this service meet?
- Increase parent school involvement and knowledge of college admissions and financial aid
- If a teacher service, which goals and objectives did this service meet?
- Provide on-going staff development and training
There are also two additional fields for staff at the central office to use:
- Record whether or not backup documentation was attached
- Record the date of said backup documentation being attached/submitted
Download: Quick Guide – Service Summary (PDF)
We hope that this guide to making use of the Service Summary feature will enhance your use SCRIBE for GEAR UP and make your daily operations easier. If you have any questions about our system or this feature, please respond in the comments below!